Saturday, August 30, 2008

Not just any woman.

I've spoken about Sara Palin here already twice. So you should already know my opinion there. I do have to say something about the public's reaction to her nomination. There's one group in particular that is amusing because they are such hypocrites. FEMINISTS! I love the feminists who are saying that they are insulted that the GOP would think that they'd be happy with "ANY WOMAN" since their standard bearer is out of the race! They are questioning this in a very funny turn of events. Here they cry discrimination all the time about qualified women being passed over for a less qualified man. They want quotas for females in hiring (not always worrying about how qualified a given individual is). They even called Ted Kennedy "Sexist" when he pledged support for Obama not Hillary last fall (would he have been racist if he'd supported Hillary instead of "O-BAM-A"?) And now that the Republicans are putting a woman on the ticket, all they can say is it is demeaning to suggest that they would vote for someone just because she's a woman. That's funny when it was Hillary Clinton how many people did you hear say "Its about time a woman got elected President!" They would declare this with some conviction. Many of her supporters would be questioned about her credentials, her accomplishments even as a Senator. It was a riot watching them struggle to come up with anything (usually nothing). The response would be then simply "I just think it's time for a woman..." or "I think its a womans turn now." Or the best and my favorite was when they would say that "she was married to the President for eight years" usually followed by some asinine comment about how we'd get Bill back too. Totally discounting her credentials, her capabilities, or qualifications because "she is a woman" and "its about time;" and as if that wasn't enough suggesting that we'll have Bill back so its a good thing. So if she doesn't know the answer then Bill will be there to back her up, or fix it. Wow! Isn't that a great endorsement for your candidate. At least Palin has executive experience, limited as it may be she's more qualified than Hillary is.
Which brings me to my other question, why is hillary the piece de resistance? What makes her the gold standard? If you tell me that she's got White House experience I'll flip out. Would you call your electrician's wife to rewire your house, or the wife of my plumber to install a new disposal in your home, would you? Even if she "ran the office" she wasn't "the guy (girl) right?"
Hillary is funny because she wasn't the one doing the foreign relations, she wasn't crafting policy, she wasn't running with and against congress. She's not it! Why they voted her into office in NY is beyond me. What has she accomplished there? Anything? Anyone? Buhler?...
Palin has done those type of executive things, boldly and with much success in spite of difficult circumstances and her not fitting "the mold." Would you ever imagine a place like Alaska would elect a woman, any woman? C'mon now seriously the frozen tundra?!? Yet she's taken on the big boys in Oil and other industries and enjoys a tremendous amount of support from her constituents. She must be doing something right.
This doesn't change the fact that I won't be voting this year. I fully intended on voting for the McCain ticket (when all of the better candidates dropped out). I can't vote for this ticket (if you haven't learned why yet then review my previous briefings starting with the one titled "The Fat Lady has Sung!" Fat Lady reference has nothing to do with this lady. She's only fat with a PH-PHAT!
I do think that there will be some fun things here if she and McCain are elected. Just think, briefings could get interesting, esp. if she became pres. "Madam President, do we push the button?" "Hang on little Trig needs to breastfeed." This sounds like an unbelievable hollywood movie about a woman, a "hockey mom for president" strollers and car seats littering the white house, secretary of defense holding the baby and getting puked on. The Lincoln bedroom is now the Lincoln Nursery painted with baby blues and stickers of "Lightning McQueen" on the walls and windows. How many stars would this get? Is Gina Davis available to play the president again?

Here's a link to an interesting article from the "Free Republic" website. They said on August 17th that Palin should be the pick and why. Read the article and note one of her accomplishments. Its nothing really, only a project that no one has been able to get done for 30 years, its also the biggest construction project in US history. Yep, she did it. Thin resume? I think not!
http://freerepublic.info/focus/f-news/2063488/posts

P.S. what about calling McCain "McQueen" in honor of the movie "Cars." Nah we should probably call him Doc Hudson, an old cranky car that runs the town and was "All that!" back in the day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to read you won't be voting.
I'm also sorry that you feel a woman with children shouldn't serve in public office. The position you are taking is that a woman's place is *always* in the home, no exceptions.
This position, then, means that you would not send your daughter to a school which employed women as teachers or administrators, if they had children. Neither would you go to a hospital which employed mothers. Don't forget the power companies which also employ women. Or restaurants or stores.
Following out the logic of total responsibility to family and home,
a man should not have any extra-familial duties, which after all only decreases the remaining time he has to be with his family. Time spent in volunteer service with the Rotary Club or church is a Bad Thing; we should all stay at home with our families when we've completed the bare necessities.
I believe it was similar exclusionary logic which led the Catholic Church to adopt the discipline of celibacy. Positions like this are tricky and need to be thought out... either you end up with inconsistent values, or you carry certain positions to odd and wacky extremes. (See the Democratic party and the middle east for examples.)
People have strengths, and the wonderful thing about America is- in general- people have the freedom to take advantage of their strengths. There are no castes, no solid social barriers, to artificially hold people back.
Mrs. Palin has a family that is solidly behind her. Her husband is a Mr. Mom that supports his wife. So, while they are not absolutely a traditional family, they certainly exemplify traditional family values of love, support and encouragement.
I don't have any problem voting for those values at all.

Political Forum said...

I didn't say I won't be voting (at least I didn't MEAN I won't vote). In fact I did vote. What I did say/mean was that while I feel that women have played wonderfully vital roles in society, and there are plenty of great mothers out there who work and contribute immensely to our society, I do feel that the BEST place (not the only place) for a mother, especially a mother of very young even infant children is at home with them. I also mean to make clear that my position is that I, Me, the author of this post and blog, won't cast a vote to take a mother of very young children, even infants, away from that duty, to take a position that is as time consuming as Vice President of the United States of America. I think Sarah Palin in many ways is a breath of fresh air, and a welcome respite from some of the stuffy smog, and mumbo-jumbo that we are used to from the DC stiffs. I think she is and will be a very influential leader. I am not in favor of being a feminist for feminist's sake, or of trying to conquer everything at once. I feel like she's attempting to show that a woman can do it all and do it all at the same time. Sorry this isn't multi-tasking. I feel like her actions show what is truly important to her, and her family is getting the short end of this stick. Yes, you can argue that any man running for this position is spending time away from his family and shorting his family as well. You are right. I wish it could be done otherwise, but I return to my original argument, that the BEST place for a mother of very young children is in the home with them. Don't get me wrong Palin has her areas of concern as well. For one I am a little concerned about HER relationships to certain preachers too (i.e. witches etc.), but I think she can also be a charismatic and influential leader, but all in due time. My whole point was that I, me personally, wouldn't be the one to go back on principles that I've long held to be important and vital, and be someone who advocated pulling someone (no matter how voluntary it was on her part) away from her children in their infancy for something that does NOT allow time, yes needed time, to be spent with her children. If you only knew who I did vote for you could assuage those concerns about me and the Catholics and celibacy. I'm not voting for celibacy either, at least not in marriage, I'm a big fan of no-celibacy within marriage! So let not your heart be troubled, if we lived in Iraq right now my finger would be purple, but instead Jack has added a "I voted" sticker to his potty chart. I hope this clears up any gray areas for you and anyone else out there. Besides, after four years of socialism I'm hoping that we'll find a conservative candidate that will act like a conservative candidate, rather than trying to explain McCain's actions are not representative of our party.